Nailing the Press Release
Your product or service is ready to launch so it’s critical that you have an exciting press release to send out to your chosen media contacts. Here at Business Espresso, we appreciate that while the format for a press release is basic, the content of the release should be anything but.
Follow our top tips to writing a great press release that will make your company look professional, accessible and attractive to writers looking for stories…..
- A great headline – will pull in journalists seeking good stories. Your headline should be as engaging as it is accurate.
- Keep content succinct – journalists are busy people and may only have seconds to scan your release so get your key message into the first paragraph. The subsequent paragraphs should be for supporting information.
- Facts and figures – pack your press release with hard numbers that support the significance of your product or announcement. If you’re claiming a trend, you need proof to back it up. Quantify your argument and it will become much more compelling.
- Engaging Quotes – Including a good quote from someone in the company or close to the product/event can give a human element to the press release, as well as being a source of information in its own right.
- One page is best – and two is the maximum. Try to limit yourself to one page as this will force you to condense your most salient information into a more readable document.
- Add value with further info – don’t make writers search for more information, providing clear relevant links to your company’s website, where prospective writers can learn more about your mission and what you’ve already accomplished, is a crucial element to the release.
- Contact info – journalists need clear contact information (and website details) to get hold of you as and when they need to.
The BE Social team are here to help any of your PR needs from one-off press releases to large scale PR campaigns.
About the author…
Sian is our Public Relations consultant with over 15 years experience in the consumer and lifestyle sectors. She excels in writing; press releases, blogs, social media content and copy for BE’s websites.